Thursday, December 15, 2016

What is Youth Work?

Youth work is working with young adults and children in many different forms to overall make them a better person.  We work with them to help develop their social and educational skills and to find their voice.  A lot of the time youth work is found in inner cities and poorer communities where people cannot afford certain programs and higher education to help them succeed and provide them with opportunities.
I have had a few different opportunities to work with youth in the past and also am currently.  I have volunteered at West Broadway Middle School and also Alfred Lima Elementary.  At West Broadway I would help all of the kids in the classroom and at Alfred Lima I was assigned to one kid that had a learning disability.  I learned a lot from these two different experiences and am very grateful that I had the opportunity to be a part of that.  Not only would I help the kids with their homework but they would tell me about their life and ask me for advice on anything.
Currently my experience with the youth is at Beat the Streets which has been my favorite experience so far.  I coach them to wrestle but I am also their mentor and someone they look up to.  If they need a shoulder to cry on, I'm there, if they need help, I'm there, and when they need to be cheered up and gain confidence I'm 100% there for them.  I am always telling these kids to have confidence in themselves and to never doubt each other or themselves.  We are all like one big family on that team and I don't know where any single one of us would be without each other. 

No comments:

Post a Comment